Monday, July 1, 2019

From Scrap Wood To A Whimsical Piece of Art How To

Hello Creatives!
Welcome to INSPIRE!

Do you ever look at something basic or ordinary and think about how you can turn it into something FAB?

Well, that is exactly what I did with a scrap wood block, some paint, paper, stamps and the AMAZING Magical Mysteries Embossing Powder by Rita Barakat!


My hubby is a hobbyist carpenter, so there is generally a good amount of scraps laying around in our garage, so when I find I am stumped creatively, I usually raid the scraps.



With this design I decided to use wooden (small) drawer pulls I found at Hobby Lobby as the legs rather than the wooden spool in the photo above. 

I chose some scrap patterned paper from my stash to use as a background and proceeded to add it to the block by tearing the pieces and adhering it with Mod Podge Matte finish.


Once the Mod Podge had set, I used a dry brush technique, and added white gesso to the paper. I then used a variety of stamps, along with archival black ink, and added to the "background" for my design.

On a separate piece of paper, I used blue ombre' ink, and 
Rita Barakat's "Dream Chaser" Art Foamie Stamp. While the ink was still wet, I added Rita's Magical Mysteries Embossing Powder in Midnight Magic, and set with heat.



For the wood heart cut-outs, I brushed two coats of white gesso to the surface. Once dried, I used an Embossing Ink Pad stamped on the surface of the hearts, and added 3 coats of Rita's Magical Mysteries Embossing Powder in Kiss of the Fairy and heat set between each layer.





Using Beacon 527 Multi Use glue, I added the "legs" to the bottom of the block, and a mini finial to the top, all which had been painted with PLAID Folk Art Acrylic Paint.

I also added a resin fairy embellishments, and an embellished paper butterfly, a metal photo bracket, the Art Foamie Stamp sentiment & the embossed hearts.

To bring just a bit more whimsy, I embellished the finial with seam binding and a maetal pendant.

Such a colorful and whimsical fun design. And what better to chase a dream then a fairy?


I hope you enjoyed this project, as much as I enjoyed making it!

For even more inspiration, be sure to to join Rita EVERY Monday, for MIXED MEDIA MONDAY LIVE on Rita Barakat 1 Facebook page.



Sign up to follow Rita & her design team as they share crafty projects and inspiration in the "Rise & Shine With Rita Barakat" Facebook group.



Stay connected by signing up for Rita's blog, where you can stay up to date with class bookings and more directly from Rita herself!



For ALL the magical, whimsical, and BEAUTIFUL products by Rita, please visit her Etsy store at:



Thanks so much for stopping by today!

Until next time.....
Live Life INSPIRED!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment